Monday, September 22, 2008

Who Needs Eldrick and other weekend observations

Hi There. Is it just me or are the Emmy's becoming just like the Academy awards? TV shows and performers I've never heard of that are on cable are getting nominated and winning. I thought that's what the "ACE" awards were for. How come the 4 major networks can't come up with innovative shows like "Entourage" and "Mad Men." Instead we get stuck with "Dancing with the Stars," "Wife Swap," and "Deal or No Deal."
On to sports. I'm getting this out of the way early. Note to Rutgers coach Greg Schiano. As a former NJ resident and big fan of your football team. Take my advice. Bench QB Mike Teel, and save your season. I knew it would be a down year, but 0-3? You're killing me Scarlet Knights, you're killing me. Not even the Mets are doing that.
Speaking of the Amazins' I'm officially naming their bullpen "Three Mile Island." Talk about meltdowns. Twenty Nine, count 'em 29 blown saves.
O.K. so I was wrong about the Fuzzy Cubbies and Rays.
Even the biggest Yankee haters could not have disliked the pre-game ceremony before the last game at Yankee Stadium Sunday night. The moment that touched me the most was seeing Thurman Munson's son Michael wearing the number 15. He looks a lot like his old man. The other was the reaction by the crowd when Bernie Williams was introduced.
Well they'll say farewell to Shea on Sunday and as a Mets fan I've been ready all season for the moment to happen. It won't have the history and flair for the dramatic that the festivities in the Bronx had, but Shea has its own special spot in New York sports history too. I'm holding out that Paul McCartney shows up and sings the National Anthem or does a Beatles song for old times sake.
You didn't have to be a golf fan to get caught up in the Ryder Cup excitement. I was flipping back and forth between the Giants/Bengals game and the golf. The matches played Sunday had every element that makes sports great. I think Paul Azinger did play to the crowd way too much. He owes Nick Faldo an apology for going over the top. I don't need a flat screen with Hi-Def. I need picture in picture so I can watch 2 things at once. David Feherty wrote a column in the recent edition of Golf Magazine and he called Tiger Woods "The Golden Gimp." I don't feel so bad calling Tiger, "Eldrick the Gimp" anymore. I actually feel vindicated.
My man EK over at Bristol Tech radio let me down the other day. He said that "Field of Dreams" was over rated. You want to know what's over rated? "The Godfather" movies.
Dust off the water cooler Dan and John, because its premiere night on CBS and "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother" are on. I might have to threaten you with the SlapBet Commissioner. I finally lost an Upset Special, dang those Houston Texans...Leccese out.

No comments: