Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Finally, new episodes of Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother and other observations

Hi There. It was a weekend for the first time in a long time I didn't have to make the annual trip to the McDonough Center at HVCC to cover basketball games. With so many more sites being used for the boys second round, (St.Rose, Saratoga High, and HVCC) it was nice just going to the Civic Center for the hockey game between Queensbury and Glens Falls. And what a game it was. I thought after Kenny Hand scored that goal that went off Josh Hill's skate and into the net, another blow out was in the works. Give the Indians credit, they scored 2 power play goals and tied it up. They played their hearts out and left everything they had on the ice, but in the end the Spartans pulled it out and hung on.
As for basketball and other sports in general, I have to question the decision makers in Section 2 for allowing teams with losing records to participate in the post season. The post season should be a reward for a good year. Not every team belongs. Look there has been some good stories as we head to sectional semi's and finals i.e Schuylerville, Warrensburg, and Duanesburg, but do we really need to have everybody included?
While looking through the circulars you get with the Sunday paper, a sign of the apocalypse stared right at me more than once. "Beverly Hills Chihuahua" is out on DVD. Bring out that ice pick right now and stab me in the eye please. Just get it over with. Or worse, make me go see "Paul Blart, Mall Cop."
The NFL free agent signing period is underway and here's a little help for you to understand it better. When you hear the amount of a contract, worry only about one figure. Guaranteed money. NFL contracts are not completely guaranteed. The three other major sports should follow the NFL's lead.
I'm starting to believe just like one sports writer I admire, namely Mitch Albom that Daniel Snyder was adopted and his real father is George Steinbrenner. The way he spends cash, there is no way the Redskins are under the salary cap.
This just in, the Rangers have brought back Sean "What ex girlfriend should I insult next" Avery. Unfortunately Jaromir Jagr isn't coming back, so the Broadway Blues won't be getting any real help they need for that anemic offense.
Jimmy Fallon has taken over Conan O'Brien's spot on the NBC late night lineup. Loved him in "Fever Pitch" and the Barry Gibb Talk Show sketch on SNL. If I ever suffer from a case of insomnia, I may check it out.
U2 has a new release out and their new single "Get on your Boots" is a keeper. U2 was one of those groups I couldn't stand in the beginning, but now they're up their among my favorites.
Finally we had new episodes of "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother." It's about time guys. I would love to comment on them, but Dan and John haven't seen them yet. Leccese out.

No comments: