Monday, March 16, 2009

They came soooo close and other weekend observations

Hi There. Well let the Madness begin! Between the NCAA's and high school basketball championships coming to town, there's a lot of hoops to be played in the next 3 weeks. Let's start with the field of 64/65. I didn't think the Big East deserved three number 1 seeds. Sorry Louisville, I would have chosen Memphis over you guys. Maryland and Arizona should have been omitted from the field. One more gripe. The Big East and Big 10 didn't deserve 7 teams in the field. Of the 34 at large bids, 30 went to the power conferences. As for Siena, they got screwed. The reward for playing a tough out of conference schedule and having a great year in the MAAC is a 9 seed. You're playing in that 8/9 toss up game and if you advance you play the 1/16 winner. They would have been better off as 11 or 12 seed. One more tournament note. I was that close to celebrating over the weekend. The Duquesne Dukes made it to the A-10 final. If they had beaten Temple Saturday night and made it to the NCAA's, I would have drank heavily like Dubray does on occasion only with better quality beer. Temple played great perimeter defense and here's a name for you to mention if you want to impress people with your field of 64 knowledge...Dionte Christmas. Solid all around player.
For the first weekend I had without high school sports in almost 7 months, I was pretty busy. The garden has officially been planted. The seeds were started yesterday. I made some pasta sauces and bought a new pair of cross trainers and a new gym bag. I'm still not liking the new floor in the group fitness room at the gym I workout at. I'm having a hard time getting used to it. Still a little slick even with the brand new sneakers.
Speaking of fitness, gotta give props to Dan. 41 pounds lost on Weight Watchers. You know I'm not trying to suck up when I say I'm proud of you my friend. In my own personal weight loss battle. I'm at the 220 pound mark. now just 20 more pounds to go. One thing I have given up cold turkey that seems to add the pounds on quickly is ice cream. Every once in a while the Strawberry Cheesecake, Chocolate Brownie Overload or one of those novelties call to me when I'm at the grocery or convenience store, but I will not cross over to the dark side.
Speaking of dark side, Bernie Madoff is going to rot in jail for a long time. I hope he likes the kosher meals in prison.
On a sad note, my own personal sign of the apocalypse occurred. John Pratt told me the news that Cobie Smulders is pregnant. Say it ain't so, Cobie! However it is. Congratulations. I could feel a whole lot better if Megyn Kelly from Fox News came to console me over this devastating information.
Note to the fine columnist of the local paper here in town. Would you please not end every one of your columns that discusses the possibility of pro hockey returning with the same ending over and over again. I'm in the majority of people who are sick of reading that the Civic Center has been without a permanent professional hockey tenant since the Adirondack Frostbite ceased operation at the end of the 2005-2006 season. We've known that fact for a long time. Tell us something we don't know.
I'll run down the brackets later in the week...Leccese out

No comments: