Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's the return of bracketology 101

Hi There. Before we begin to look at the brackets, I've got to give props to Marty Brodeur of the Devils for becoming the all-time leader in wins by a goaltender in NHL history. It's just a matter of time before he passes Terry Sawchuk to become the all time shutout leader. Great guy, classy individual. I don't deny he will go down as one of the top five best goaltenders in league history, however he still couldn't beat my man Richter in a play-off series.
Now on to the tournament. I'll give you my final four picks right now. UConn, North Carolina, Pittsburgh and my surprise pick: Wake Forest. That's three number 1 seeds and a number 4.
I'll start in the East and go West young man. I see Pittsburgh over Villanova in the Final. First round upset: VCU over UCLA (the Bruins are down as well as the entire Pac-10). Overrated: Duke. Teams that may surprise: I'll say Texas and I'll throw in Florida State to give you 2.
In the South. I know UNC is missing Ty Lawson right now, but he'll be fine for the Sweet 16 round. UNC beats Clemson in the final. First round upset. Love the Hilltoppers of Western Kentucky to beat Illinois. Syracuse fans you lose to Clemson in the 3rd round. Overrated: Oklahoma. Teams that may surprise: Arizona State and Clemson.
In the Midwest. My surprise final four team. Wake Forest. They beat Kansas in the final. First round upset USC over Boston College. Sorry Siena fans, I'd love to see you make it past the second round, but that 9 seed is a killer. I don't see them beating Louisville I've been saying this to Dan and Clay and some of my other co-workers here. I would have a better feeling about Siena if they were a 10 or 11 seed. My big fear for them is Fran McCaffrey will be just like Mike Deane and Paul Hewitt and leave to take a job in one of the power conferences. Overrated: Michigan State. Teams that may surprise: USC and West Virginia.
Finally in the West. UConn won its two national championships coming out of the west regional. I like them to beat Missouri and make it to Detroit. First round upset. Utah State over Marquette. Overrated: Washington. Teams that may surprise: Mississippi State and Purdue. Would somebody tell John Calipari to stop crying please. You're starting to annoy me like Coach K does.
Last year I was enamored with Nevada. (They took the gas pipe) This year I don't feel the love toward anybody like that this year. If I have to say someone, I'll say Butler. Enjoy the hoops...Leccese out.

No comments: