Sunday, June 21, 2009

Being Ken Leccese's son and other weekend observations

Hi there. First off Happy Fathers Day to all the dads, grandpas, and uncles out there. Since I mentioned my Mom prominently on Mothers Day, equal time goes out to my Dad, the first Ken Leccese. Yes, I'm a junior and proud of it. Often times when a family names their son after the father, the son will use the middle name so to give him his own identity. My cousin Andy's son Thomas is like that. He's Andrew Thomas Junior, but he goes by his middle name. Thanks Mom for not going that route with me. Don't get me wrong, Edward is a fine name. But Eddie Leccese? I don't think so. I love my Dad. He's my hero. Some times I wish I was more like him and not like my Mom, but there's a lot of him in me. He doesn't show the emotion that my Mom does but when he does, watch out. When you do good, he lets you know and the same happens when you do bad. He also has a goofy side to him that he shows on occasion. He overcame a lot. Worked real hard to be the success he is and now he's semi-retired and enjoys being Papa to my niece. His golf game sucks, however he's tough to beat when it comes to horse shoes and bocce.
It was a good weekend to watch other sports besides baseball. The U.S. Open Golf and Nascar on the road course at Infeon. Road course racing is like inter league baseball games. It's different. A nice change of pace from the norm and I like them both. I wish Nascar would add a 3rd road course race during the final 10 Chase for Cup races. As for the golf, I'll comment on it after it's over.
The only thing missing from the Mets/Rays series this weekend was seeing Scott Kazmir starting one of those games for Tampa. I'm still steamed over that trade. That deal ranks up there in Mets infamy like Nolan Ryan for Jim Fregosi.
Outside the Lines did a great story on the NBA's minimum age requirement. You know how I feel about that. If the NBA would put a minor league system in place similiar to what baseball and hockey have, I would have no problem with 18 year old kids who want to play pro ball and not go to college. Have two-way contracts and call ups just like they have in the other sports.
Had to replace some plants in the garden. The eggplant I started from seed inside weren't responding the way I'd hoped, so I picked up some more healthier looking ones.
The weight loss has hit a brick wall. I'm stuck between 212 and 214 pounds. I know I've lost 30 since the beginning of the year, but I want to lose 40! I talk about the Body Combat class I take at the health club I work out at. Well they've got a new 6 week Body Combat challenge that I'm going to accept to drop that last 10 pounds that don't seem to want to come off. I've been good with not eating ice cream, but my weakness has been plain and or peanut butter M and M's. The M's won't be touching these lips and gut for a while.
Sandra Bullock has the top movie at the box office this weekend with "The Proposal." I find it hard to believe she's married to the guy from Monster Garage. Talk about opposites being attacted to each other. Summer officially started Sunday, so where's the 80 degrees and sunny?..Leccese out.

No comments: