Monday, June 29, 2009

Draggin my a-- to the gym at 6am to accept a fitness challenge

Hi there. Its been an interesting week. Usually celebrity deaths come in 3's well in the past week we had count 'em 5! Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett, pitchman Billy Mays, impressionist Fred Travelina and of course Michael Jackson. I'll talk about M.J. in a second, but first I have to mention Farrah. As an impressionable young male growing up in the 70's, Farrah ranked up there with Cheryl Tiegs as probably having the most popular poster on a boys bedroom wall. Lee Majors, the 6 Million Dollar Man was married to her during that decade. How cool was that! Sorry to admit this guys, so please don't take my man card away for this revelation. Farrah wasn't my favorite Charlie's Angel. I'm in the very,very small minority who preferred Kate Jackson over her and Jaclyn Smith and later on Cheryl Ladd. Sorry, but Shelly Hack and Tonya Roberts don't count.
I'm going to try to keep it brief on Michael Jackson's passing. He was an amazing performer and talent, but his celebrity became so enormous that it must have been impossible to be able to handle that kind of pressure and the demands that came with the kind of fame that only Elvis or The Beatles had attained. I wouldn't wish that level on anyone. He kind of reminded me of Howard Hughes in a sad, eccentric sort of way. One good memory of Michael. His appearance on "The Simpsons."
On to sports. The U.S. Open. At what point do we stop feeling sorry for Phil Mickelson and bring up the fact the guy has taken the gas pipe on more than one occasion when it really counted. Also did anyone see the pants he was wearing Monday? Who ever the heck is picking out his clothes and I know its not his wife Amy should be fired for choosing those ugly trousers. They looked like someone stole curtains and made pants out them.
David Duval made an appearance from the dead to play well at Bethpage, but one thing hadn't changed about Mr. Duval. His personality makes watching white paint dry exciting.
I did watch both the NBA and NHL drafts. First the NBA affair. The Nets have officially returned to being the Clippers of the Eastern Conference with their trade of Vince Carter to the Magic, and I know the Timberwolves needed help at guard, but drafting 4 of them in the first round?
As for the NHL draft, I thought the Flyers would use their first pick to draft a goalie. I didn't anticipate that pick to be in the 3rd round! There must be ghosts of Redwings drafts past still at the Civic Center. The new parent club traded away 2 first round picks, a former first round pick and a guy back to his original team for Chris Pronger. No help for the farm club. Some things never change.
From this weeks absurd file comes this beauty. A guy in Chicago called 911 to complain to police that a fast food chain did not put enough cookie bits in his kids milkshake. We're talking about pieces of Oreo in a milkshake! We have murders, assaults, robbery's and other real emergencies going on around us and our police are getting calls over petty things like cookies in a milkshake, or in another instance of real genius calling 911 to complain to police because the restaurant ran out of chicken nuggets.
The state of Rhode Island is considering officially changing its name and dropping the "Providence Plantations" part because it might be offensive. I believe that 97 percent of the citizens of this great land wouldn't know or could care less that our smallest state is officially known as "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations." Hey, I use it all the time when I announce I'm going to visit to my aunt and or my cousin and his family who live there... NOT!!! The PC police investigative units are out there boys and girls looking for its next victim.
Good news. Bernie Madoff got 150 years in jail for his ponzi scheme. Hope orange is your favorite color you worthless piece of dung.
Another worthless piece of dung is saying goodbye. Don't let the door hit your a-- on the way out Donald Fehr. I won't miss you one bit.
I mentioned last week how I've accepted this 6 week 10 and 10 Body Combat challenge at the place I work out at. Part of the challenge is taking 10 classes, the other part is losing 10 pounds. I take class Saturday mornings and the only other time I can take it is Monday at 6am. So there I was bright and early. I was surprised to see 13 other people. I must be freakin' nuts to wake up before 5am to do this. Only 8 more classes to go.
Guess who's coming to Proctors November 15th? The man. Anthony Bourdain. I am so psyched and I'm so going to be there for that appearance.
I end this entry on a lighter note. I been playing The Game of Life on my laptop. While playing the game, you actually have to get married. It doesn't have a "She only likes you as friend and therefore stay single forever" spot on the board...Leccese out.

No comments: