Monday, June 1, 2009

The calendar says June 1st and its 36 degrees outside as I type this entry

Hi there. Well what happened to spring? I'm expecting 75 to 80 degree days. I'm expecting my bean, squash and zucchini seeds to come up. We'll be lucky if we make it out of the 60's all this week. What's up with that? Global warming my slender buttocks.
This is how slow a week it has been. The fact that I'm mentioning Susan Boyle means its a slow week. The Greenhouse Effect is an American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Survivor, and you can name about 98 percent of the other reality shows free zone. If I'm talking about one means its a real slow week. O.K. I get it. She lost in the final of the British version of some got talent show. Everybody's worried she might have a break down. Time to get on with our lives. I take one look at Susan Boyle and I think about someone and how she might make a great date for him. Don't worry Dubray. It's not you.
If I had known that Jerry Manuel was going to start the JV squad against the Marlins Saturday, I would have gone there to the Mets new ballpark and asked to pinch hit as a call up from the fantasy camp all-star squad.
The Yankees haven't committed an error in 17 straight games. It's a miracle if the Mets don't commit one in 2 straight.
I was hoping for a Chicago/Carolina Stanley Cup final, but instead we have a Detroit/Pittsburgh re-match. Like the Wings in 5 this time. I have a favorite player too. Justin Abdelkader. Where were the kids like him in the Wings system when Glen Merkosky was coaching those mediocre squads we had here in town in mid 90's?
One positive of the having the Penguins in the final. Mike Lange gets to keep calling hockey on the radio for at least 4 more games.
As we approach the NHL draft, I actually have a reason to read up on the prospects and what teams needs are. With the Phantoms in town and Philly providing us with the players I'll give you my honest opinion of what I think the Flyers should nab in the first round. They pick 21st, and there's two ways of thinking. One, the highest player available on the draft board or two, fill a need. Philly needs a young goaltending prospect. There really is no impact goalie in this years draft. My advice to Paul Holmgren, still take the goalie.
Last Tuesday I read a column on Yahoo sports by Jason Cole about Myron Rolle, the Florida State football player and Rhodes Scholar who wants to become a neurosurgeon and hopes to play in the NFL. He's skipping football to study abroad. The more I read about this young man, the more I like him. I especially loved when he mentioned one of the people he admired was Bill Bradley, the former Knick, U.S. Senator and also a Rhodes scholar who put off the NBA to study abroad. Next to my dad, Bill Bradley is one of the men I admire the most. If you're a parent and have a son or daughter and is looking for someone for them to look up to, I would highly recommend Myron Rolle.
Happy Birthday to Petey and Mikey. You may not believe it at times, but do I like both of you guys a lot.
Finally I end this entry with congratulations to the Orlando Magic and their defeat of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA's Eastern Conference Final. One of my favorite quotes of all time comes from the late Wellington Mara. It is so appropriate. "It's nice to see arrogance humbled." Take that LeBron James...Leccese out.

No comments: