Sunday, June 6, 2010

I thought it would be easy to find a suit and other observations

Hi there. Nothing beats a little light reading after having endured a rainy Sunday.
These past two days were an example of why I wish I was married or in a relationship. The nuptials of my cousin and her fiance take place next weekend. I figured I could pick out a nice multi-functional suit that would look stylish whether wearing a dress t-shirt or a collared shirt and tie. I have been totally out of my element. When you're married or in a serious relationship, your wife or girlfriend helps in picking out clothing, especially dress clothing. If she likes it, you're not under that certain level scrutiny when you go to one of those dress up type events. You want her to be proud of how good you look, and not "I can't believe he wore that!" We all know it does go both ways.
On to other things. Wednesday night in Detroit. We all saw the play a gazillion times by now, and yes Jim Joyce screwed up. I always love the chance to butcher an umpire or referee, but for a change I'm giving Jim Joyce props. He had the family jewels to face the media, say he messed up and apologize for it. Armando Galarraga also handled this situation with class as well. I don't want to beat an already dead horse even further, however outside his name being put in a group with 20 guys who've thrown perfect games, the one hit didn't effect the earned run average and besides if it was that close a play, doesn't the tie go to the runner?
Jim Joyce received death threats for his screw up. I wonder why the Chairman of BP whose company has caused an a major environmental disaster with this oil spill, not gotten similar threats against his life. This guy should be changing his name every 5 minutes and in the witness protection program.
It's been a long time since I had no interest in a Triple Crown race, but I didn't watch the Belmont.
Two retirement announcements this week that made me feel just a little older: Junior Griffey and jockey Richard Migliore.
Here's this weeks sign of the apocalypse. There were protests outside during the National Spelling Bee.
Another sign of the apocalypse. A New York City woman named Debrahlee Lorenzana has filed a lawsuit claiming she was fired from her job at a bank because she was too attractive and her being too attractive was causing a distraction.
I have to ask this question with the World Cup starting this week. Do we have any of those soccer hooligan types who root for team U.S.A? I feel America is being left out in all the fun.
I laugh at the surveys where in certain European countries men would give up sex if their team won the World Cup.
I'm sticking with Blackhawks in 6 games.
I was reading the latest edition of "Sports Illustrated" and it talked with Jordan Spieth, the 16 year old high school junior who made the cut at the Byron Nelson and finished 16th. He said teeing off on the first hole during round one that Thursday was the toughest thing he ever had to do. The second toughest. Asking a girl to the prom.
A level of h-e-double hockey sticks froze for a brief moment the other morning while I was reading the weekend magazine in the Post Star. It was an article on what could be done to improve the NBA. I actually agreed with one of the articles' suggestions that was brought up by one of the leagues' big time bridge troll agents that I love so much.
Listening to Bristol Tech radio you get total over kill in regards to the Lakers/Celtics final series. This caught my attention. 5 of the 10 starters in game 1 did not attend college.
Aren't their more important issues for mayors to worry about in their cities other than trying to convince LeBron James to play for an NBA team?
John Wooden was just a simple man who coached basketball and life who became larger than life itself after he stopped coaching. Right until he past away at age 99 on Friday, he never stopped teaching us about life.
It will be strange next season not seeing Tom Rentz on the Corinth bench come basketball season. Enjoy retirement Tom, you've earned it.
One good thing about going my cousins' wedding. It should make for some real good material for the next edition. When her sister got married a few years ago, it made for some good laughs when I got on stage and was doing stand up...Leccese out.

No comments: