Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What day of the week is it, I have to ask?

Hi there. This weekend was such a blur! I do know that I went 1 for 3 in the upset specials. Cowboys won over the Texans and the college upset selections were a bust. Ole Miss put up 55 on Fresno State and the Boston College offense didn't bother to show up at home against Va Tech. So for the year after 4 weeks, I'm 2 and 7. Remember as much as I take picking the games somewhat seriously, they are basically something fun to get you into the weekend.
I knew I was really tired Saturday morning when I skipped the green tea for a large coffee from the fast food place across the street from the radio station. I like coffee but only on that rare occasion. Saturday morning was one of those rare occasions.
We've made it through the halfway point of the high school football season and here's a list of the teams that have caught my attention so far this season. Troy, Burnt Hills, Amsterdam, Schuylerville, Cambridge, Chatham, Albany Academy, Schalmont, and Hoosick Falls.
These are the teams that have been a pleasant surprise: Lake George, Queensbury, Tamarac, Greenwich and I'll include Glens Falls in the mix.
Teams that have been a disappointment: Granville and Hudson Falls.
Had a great time in Schuylerville and at Hickory Ski Center Sunday. Hopefully Mike will put some of the photos I took from those places on our facebook page. It was tough missing Taste of the North Country. I'm also proud of the fact that between the cider and donuts and a beer tasting going on at the Ski Center, I didn't partake in any of them while at was those places.
The only down side of the weekend was I wish more people would have showed up at the football game we did in Warrensburgh Saturday. Friday night under the lights at S.Glens Falls was amazing. It was a packed house.
Here's some advice to all those people who I saw protesting both in front of the Civic Center and up the hill by the traffic circle downtown Sunday afternoon. Look in the mirror and say to yourself, "I really need to find a hobby and get a life!"
Lindsay Lohan has officially become what I like to call a "multiple train wreck."
One more sports note. It was in last Tuesday's Post Star. It was announced that the Hartford WolfPack are being turned over to new managment and will change their name sometime this season to the Connecticut Whale. The man behind this change is one Howard Baldwin, the same man who nearly 40 years ago founded the then New England Whalers of the WHA, moved them to Hartford and owned the team for 15 years before selling in 1988. I'm curious and need to know why he is doing this? There's a part of me that thinks he is totally nuts. At the same time the idea that the man who first brought major league pro hockey to Hartford back in 1974 has come back and is trying re-ignite the fan base who very much still do love their Whalers and I happen to be one of those fans, is intriguing. Have "Brass Bonanza" digitally re-mastered and get ready to crank it at the XL Center...Leccese out.

No comments: