Friday, December 9, 2011

It could have been worse and its only a water heater

Hi there.  Well here we are a little over 2 weeks away from Christmas.  I still haven't done any shopping, except for that one gift for my Mom.  How hard it is to buy gift cards anyway?  Except what kind of a gift card do you give to a 6 year old?
So Wednesday night I get home knowing there might be 6 inches of snow overnight into Thursday morning. I parked my SUV down by my mail box at the bottom of the hill where I live thinking my folks are not around and it will be easy for my plow guy to get rid of all the snow on my driveway.   Get home, drop the briefcase and head for my bedroom.  Took one step and realized, "Houston ,we have a problem."  Water heater dies and floods my bedroom.  Called my contractor up, he pays an emergency visit.  I've got the water shut off, a hose draining the remaining water from the tank, and a shop vac working overtime sucking up water.  My Dad gets home and the two of us spent parts of the night and  yesterday morning tearing up and removing the soaking wet carpet and padding. My room now looks like the Hits studio after the morning show gets done. The good news is damage was limited to just that one room and I get to pick out new carpet and maybe I'll paint the room over too.
Upset specials time. Not a good week.  Another 1 for 3 week.  Only winner Clemson.  This week a pair of pros til bowl season kicks off.  First Buffalo goes on the road to San Diego and knocks off the "not so super Chargers."  Second upset special Vikings on the road in Detroit beating the Lions and I have no clue why they will.
Last weeks Giants/Packers game was one of those 15 round championship heavyweight fights from the past and in the end the champs had one more punch left in them to stay unbeaten.
Tim Tebow.  In football, we are so obsessed with the "6ft 3 inch white stud with the cannon for an arm" or the "6ft 4 inch black american athletic quarterback who does everything and is like Houdini when he escapes the pocket and makes a big play type" qb.  When the unorthodox types like Tim Tebow comes along, its like the space time continuum becomes screwed up.  Look the guy wins and that's all that matters.  Ugly wins isn't a stat.  Who cares if he's passionate about his faith.
Bobby Valentine named manager of the RedSox.  The media in Boston got an early Xmas present this year.
Another messing with the space time continuum.  The Marlins and Angels are the ones who are overpaying for talent and not the Yankees.
Mets fans understand this.  The team lost 70 million dollars last year!  Jose Reyes wasn't going to take a fair market value contract from the them!  The 140 million dollar payroll years didn't work.  If I hear the, "but this is New York" or "we're becoming as relevant as the Royals or the Pirates." excuse one more time.  Never mind what I'm going to do.  I hear it enough from Knicks fans and now it will be why Chris Paul is going to the Lakers and why the Hornets didn't accept 2 bench scrubs and 3 City Dancers for the guard in a trade.  My advice to Mets fans is this.  Stop worrying about what the guys in the Bronx are doing.  They play by a different set of rules than everybody else, O.K?  Maybe fiscal responsibility and developing home grown talent will work out. 
NHL realignment. Did you see what radical plan was approved by the Board of Governors?  Why are the Panthers and Lightning in the same division as the Canadiens and Bruins?  Did whomever came up with this solution pass geography?  Every time I think Gary Bettman might not be such an idiot after all, he does something stupid like this.
It is just me or as you get older, "The Charlie Brown Christmas" becomes more depressing when you watch it?
If you want to set me off, bring up this topic.  Christmas parties.  Me not being in attendance at one of these functions is not going bring on one of the seven signs of the apocalypse.  I'm not anti-social and I'm not a scrooge.  I just can't stand them.  I'm not good at small talk and they're not fun.  If a sign of the apocalypse does happen though during the festivities, you have my permission to call me up on my cell phone, e-mail me home or work, or chew me out while I'm on the air and tell me I was wrong.  Enjoy the weekend and help me with this one.  How many different shades of beige are there?..Leccese out.

No comments: