Monday, June 23, 2008

The Seven Dirty Words you can't write in The Greenhouse Effect and other Weekend Observations

Hi There. An interesting weekend to say the least. It started Friday night making it just in the nick of time to see the early showing of "Get Smart." I went in knowing it was not trying to remake the TV series and Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway were not trying to be Don Adams and Barbara Feldon. It pays tribute to the show in ways that Get Smart fans will appreciate; especially a scene that Bernie Kopell appears. Bill Murray had a nice cameo as Agent 13, but I wish that we would have had more of Hymie the Robot. Patrick Warburton nailed him right on. Saturday it was the usual. Head to the golf course for 18 holes of agony and ecstasy. Sunday I sat in front of the old set and watched Nascar on the road course known as Infineon Raceway. I love the two road courses, because it really tests the drivers ability. Its not the car set up or pit strategy that determines the winner. I also did some serious cleaning and decided to donate items to a local garage sale. Its amazing the junk I've acquired over the years. I didn't realize how many coffee mugs and drinking glasses I owned. The PC police were at it again and this time Johnny Miller was the offender. Apparently some Italian Americans were unhappy with an off the cuff comment that Miller made about Rocco Mediate looking more like the guy who cleans Tiger Woods pool. Lighten up guys. With a last name like Leccese, there is some Italian heritage in my blood. I heard the comment and thought, "You've got to be kidding me." I admit, the morning showers the past couple of days have been nice so I haven't had to water the veggies, but I really need to fertilize them. Dana Carvey has a new HBO comedy special out and its very good. Finally on the passing of George Carlin. The man was one of the greats. His observational humor was cutting edge, and after you laughed or you were offended it made you think. Intelligent humor is hard to pull off and he did it so brilliantly. Next to Billy Crystal and Bill Cosby, he was one of the stand up comics I wanted to emulate on stage. I got to see him at the old Starlight Music Theater. My cousin Andy Basso's kids were big fans of "Shining Time Station" and they're almost at the age where I can show them what Mr.Conductor was really like. I think I start them off with the Hippy Dippy Weatherman, go into Wonderful WINO radio, and last but not least play the 7 dirty words. I hope he got to heaven and someone at the gate asked him, "George, why did you agree to play Rufus in the Bill and Ted movies and what was the deal with Jersey Girl?" What were you thinking? Leccese out.

No comments: