Monday, June 9, 2008

Spanning the Globe to bring you an appropriate tribute to Jim McKay and other weekend observations

Hi There. In describing the weather over the weekend, I can only think of the movie "Good Morning Vietnam" and this quote from Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, "It's Hot! It's Damm Hot!" Well we're all trying to figure out why Big Brown couldn't complete the Triple Crown. Kent Desormeaux said he had no horse that day. Here's what I'm thinking. Big Brown headed out in the paddock area at Belmont before he being saddled saw the thermometer and the 90 plus degree temperature. Then as he was lead out for the post parade it hit him and he started thinking, "I got run a mile and a half in this heat! I don't think so, not today" "I've won the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness." "Just lead me to breeding stall with some cute filly, get the Barry White or Marvin Gaye music playing and let start making some future champions." Seriously though, missing 3 days of training did effect his performance and if you saw him coming out of the starting gate heading into the clubhouse turn he didn't seem focused. Now onto Jim McKay. We lost someone who was bigger than life itself. He set the bar so high and the way he did it with class and humility. The Olympics wouldn't be the television event it is now if it weren't for Jim McKay and Roone Arledge. I never met him but I had the chance to see him in person twice. Once was at Monmouth Park, the second time was in Saratoga at the Sheraton. I was at something and he walked through the lobby heading to his room after broadcasting the Travers. He loved horse racing. So Paul Pierce of the Celtics hurts his knee during game one, makes a miraculous recovery and Boston wins. People were comparing him to Willis Reed. No way, no sir, no how! I didn't see any of the Lakers stop what they were doing to see Paul Pierce come back on the court. Blue Jays are stupid birds. I've got this one who lately has been pecking on a window at my home. I'm thinking it sees its reflection in the glass and is looking to pick a fight. Fine go ahead, just don't do it at 6 in the morning. I can wake up on my own thank you very much. Leccese out.

No comments: