Monday, October 20, 2008

How bout them Rays and other Weekend Observations

Hi There. If you had the RedSox and the Dodgers in the World Series to quote Warner Wolf, "You Lost!" Good for the Rays and Phillies. If I were a member of the Phillies don't quote Brooks Robinson when asked about the Mets in 1969. He said something like this. "We're here to prove there is no such thing as Santa Claus." He still refuses to believe the Mets were better. Jimmy Rollins keep quiet for your teams sake. We all have this obsession with TV ratings more than we do about the best two teams playing for the title. If the casual sports fan can't get behind what Joe Maddon has done with the Rays, they're not fans. He knew he had a good team that was ready to break out just like Gil Hodges felt about the Mets. He told people they could win between 90 and 100 games. Evan Longoria is a stud and BJ Upton is right behind him. Add that pitching staff. If they can stay together, the Yankees, Sox and Blue Jays are going to be playing for the wild card for a while.
My upset specials were 1 for 2. The Scarlet Knights of Rutgers won an ugly game over UConn and what happened to Browns QB Derek Anderson? How come he didn't play like that last Monday night against the Giants? That was awful. Yo Romeo, start Brady Quinn please! I'm beginning to think that life begins and ends with Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys. Talk about another sign of the apocalypse.
Went to the Rats game Friday night with a bunch of people I work out with and I felt dirty. I made not one, but two deals with the devil. Not only was it the River Rats playing in the Civic Center, but it was also the top affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes. I'm a Ranger fan for life, but the Hartford Whalers have a special place in my heart. My feelings toward the Whale go back to the old WHA and my uncles took me and my cousins to see them play a couple of times when I was growing up. When they left for North Carolina, it was like being hit in the groin. I saw Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford and said hello as he walked by. I wondered what he did with Whalers merchandise I sent to him along with that not so nice letter I wrote. As I said last week, if you want hockey back you got to suck it up and go to those games.
I know Dan and John will be watching the Patriots/Broncos game so I'll wait a couple days before we hit the water cooler and talk about the CBS comedies. Bourdain's new show on the Travel Channel is also on, can't wait for that. Well if you hear "Brass Bonanza" somewhere, think of me...Leccese out.

No comments: