Thursday, October 30, 2008

A view from the sidelines at Bearskin Bowl 3 and other observations

Hi There. I know what you're thinking. Why wasn't there an entry Monday? Well I have a few good reasons, but I'll use this one as my alibi. Being the fill-in host on the Morning Club is tough. I don't know how Dan does it 5 days a week. Pete can drive a person nuts on occasion, but most of the time its fun doing the show with him. As for last weekend I spent most of it dodging the raindrops and the monsoon Saturday. My cousin Andy Basso and his son Brent came up with 3 of his teammates from the East Greenwich High School rowing club. They participated in the Head of the Fish Regatta at Saratoga Lake and his team representing the Narraganset Boat Club finished second in the boys novice 8. The race went off at 8am and it was cold and damp. Seeing the rowing up close was neat. The oars on the boats are huge! Like about 12 feet tall huge. They arrived in town Friday night and we went out for dinner and afterward I gave them the tour of the radio station. After the football game we broadcast from Hudson Falls was over, I was completely spent. Got home, took a hot shower, ate some hot soup and was in bed by 7:30pm. Every once in a while you need one of those mornings where you can stay under the covers and not worry. Sunday was that morning.
On to other stuff. Upset specials. Last week was a total disaster. Tennessee and the Falcons both took the gas pipe. Well another week brings two more upset specials. Lets hope the results are better. It couldn't get any worse. O.K for the college I see the Duke Blue Devils knocking off the Demon Deacons of Wake Forest. Your pro upset special has the J-E-T-S beating the Bills. Buffalo doesn't recover after losing to the Dolphins.
If I had any courage I would have called my brother-in-law Mike and rubbed in the fact that last weekend teams from NY and NJ swept teams from Pittsburgh. 3 for 3. The Rangers over the Pens was nice, Giants over the Steelers was nicer, but Rutgers spanking the Pitt Panthers. That was the best of all three. Did I actually see Mike Teel throw 6 TD passes in the game? It happened. No complaints from this Scarlet Knights fan.
High School Musical 3 made 42 million dollars at the box office over the weekend. Excuse me while I yawn with my mouth wide open.
I heard that Carol Alt is posing for Playboy. Who cares. Remember her from Celebrity Apprentice? She's a total freak and into one of those whacked out diets where you only eat raw food. I liked her better when she ate cooked food and was married to Ron Greshner.
Hoda Kotb should be anointed sainthood for having to work with Kathie Lee Gifford on the Today show. I wonder how often does she think, " I gave up doing serious journalism for this gig? My career has gone down the toilet."
I feel no guilt over not watching any of the World Series. Bud Selig just finds ways to screw things up doesn't he? Good for the Phillies. They deserved to win and this is one Mets fan who has no hint of bitterness or jealousy. I thought they would win the NL East and they proved me right.
This weeks high school game on the mighty WWSC is Canajoharie at Fort Edward in a Class D play-off game. The Cougars probably are right now trying to figure out how to stop Tyler Carpenter, who has been on a tear right now. I like the balance of Canajoharie with Payton Stahler, Dane ONeill and Dylan Slater. This should be a good tough battle for both teams. The other game to watch is Hudson Falls at Cohoes. The winner of this game should win the class B sectional title.
Thanks to everyone Wednesday night who showed up and made it to Lake George High for Bearskin Bowl 3. The game once again raised some good money and ended in a 26 - 26 tie. I played for Warrensburg this year and finally I got to wear a jersey number that suited me. F.Y.I. That was me wearing number 11 for the Blue and Gold. The past 2 years I had a lineman's number. I can't make a block to save the quarterbacks life. I look better trying to run a pass route and wearing numbers in the teens or the eighties. The other thing I enjoy about playing in the game is I now understand why guys who play or have played football at the high school or any level love the game so much. Being on the sideline wearing your teams' jersey, having people cheering for you and feeding off that emotion while being on the field. I get it and I liked it. It's totally different than the one I felt with basketball.
Remember to set your clocks back 1 hour and check the batteries on your smoke detectors as well as the radon and carbon monoxide detectors before going to bed Saturday.
Thanks Lisa Miner for the apple pie. It was delicious. I'll send some pumpkin pie home with Dan for you sometime.
Enjoy the weekend and I would have caught that pass Doug...Leccese out.

No comments: