Friday, October 17, 2008

Upset Specials and other observations

Hi There. It's Friday and we head into another weekend of football, hockey and other things. We'll begin class with "Opie's Upset Specials." First for the college upset. I will finally pick a game that involves my favorite college team. The Scarlet Knights of Rutgers. 2 weeks ago I had UConn upsetting UNC and that didn't happen, so to get even I have Greg Schiano's boys taking out my anger toward the Huskies and winning in front of the home crowd on the banks of the old Raritan! For the pro, after the Cleveland Browns beat the Giants Monday night, I think they start a winning streak by knocking off the Redskins in DC. Jim Zorn to Steve Largent was a great combo in the early years of the Seahawks when their helmets were the coolest looking in the league. By the way class, that will be on the test.
O.K. now for some high school talk. Last week of the regular season before sectionals and crossovers for everybody but Class D. Interesting match-ups that have spots and positions on the line. The game we're doing on WWSC: Johnstown at Hudson Falls. The Tigers will be home next week for a first round game and they'll either play Hudson or Albany Academy who take on each other tomorrow afternoon. Other games going on this weekend.
Cambridge at Schuylerville - The Black Horses have too much offense for a young Indian squad.
Rensselaer at Lake George - If Lake George was sectional eligible, this might be a preview of the D title game.
Granville at Corinth - The winner is in and plays Chatham, the loser plays crossover games. The loser maybe better off.
Gloversville at Glens Falls - Whoever wins gets 3rd place in A Northwest.
Tamarac at Watervliet - The Bengals were humbled losing to Chatham last week and the loser of this game will most likely play at Schuylerville next Friday.
Getting away from football. After hearing about the BoSox remarkable comeback from 7 runs down and knocking off the Rays last night, I thought about pitcher Scott Kazmir and he must have been thinking, "Now I know what it would been like starting for the Mets this season."
Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz fired coach Dennis Savard after only 4 games this season. He'd fit in real good in the Fantasy Hockey league my friends and I are in.
Why is everybody making such a big deal over Joe the Plummer, and what makes Ohio such an important state during election time? Think about it. Does Cleveland, Cincinnati and Toledo really have that much pull when it comes to choosing the President?
After watching "How I Met Your Mother," I've been trying to figure out who needs an intervention around here. Mike or Pete. I'm leaning towards Cloutier and the hair.
See you at the River Rats game tonight. I wish Lou's Pizza was still around so I could grab a couple slices. Class dismissed...Leccese out.

No comments: