Monday, November 10, 2008

How 'bout those Hudson Falls Tigers and other weekend observations

Hi There. Before we commence I want to personally thank the wise people who made the decision to move the Hudson Falls/Beekmantown football game from Friday night in Johnstown to Saturday afternoon at Putt LaMay Field.
Now on to the real fun. We got blanked on the upset specials. Did I say UCLA over Oregon State? Maybe I should have said USC over Oregon State. Oh yeah I forgot, the Beavers won that game too. As for the pro upset special, making a 52 yard field goal as time is running out isn't easy. Oh well, so I went 0-2. There's always next week.
There's an old adage in sports that defense wins championships and that applied to the Watervleit Cannoneers. Holding Chatham and Schuylerville to a combined 9 points in the C semi-final and final games after both teams put up big numbers. Not bad. Fort Edward played a team with too many weapons on offense. Rensselaer is for real and they can't take a scrappy Moriah team who is unbeaten at 10-0 lightly. Finally, lets talk about the only local team left playing football. The Hudson Falls Tigers. The more and more I see Joe McMurry run with the football, I want to convince some coach from a Division 1 school to watch him and see what I've been seeing and offer this kid a scholarship. He's intelligent and got that football sense that coaches can't teach. The other thing I like about the Tigers is the line. It's big, quick and fun to watch. The secondary isn't half bad either.
On the way to Amsterdam with Brian, we listened to the Rutgers/Cuse game. I wasn't too thrilled with the score early on. But after I shut it off in disgust, Greg Schiano's boys outscored them 35 - 3. There was a strange play to end the half. Syracuse attempted a field goal. The first time the kick was blocked. The second try they missed but neither one counted. Rutgers called time-out before the actual snap of the ball both times. The third try the kicker missed again. That one counted. The Scarlet Knights have quietly won 3 straight after starting 1-5. Things couldn't be any better in my football universe. My high school alma mater has won 7 straight games. You know about Rutgers and the Giants are 8-1.
One place where the football universe is so out of sync is Knoxville where the Tennessee Volunteers lost the Wyoming Cowboys on homecoming weekend. Talk about the bottom falling out for Phil Fulmer.
Can we just stop with the Heisman Trophy hype and just give the damn thing to Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell and get it over with please.
I noticed that there are two unbeatens left in the NBA. The Lakers and can you say the Atlanta Hawks. Did Spud Webb and Dominique Wilkins come out of retirement and I not know about it?
You know you're taking your fantasy sports way too seriously when you yell at a coach on TV for not playing someone on your team. For that reason I owe Bruins coach Claude Julien an apology for starting Manny Fernandez over Tim Thomas Saturday night.
If there is any NHL team that can survive losing a hall of fame goalie like Marty Brodeur for an extended period of time due to an injury, its the Devils.
My niece has learned to say, "Go Steelers" and she says it to me over the phone. Morgan can you say, "wild card." It's Monday and that means BBT and HIMYM on CBS...Leccese out

No comments: