Monday, November 24, 2008

Three losses in six years and other weekend observations

Hi there. Well high school football season is officially over and it was a good run for the Hudson Falls Tigers. Unfortunately they ran into a dynasty called the Rye Garnets. There's an old saying that speed kills and the Rye defense was at least one, maybe two steps faster. That was the difference in the ball game on Saturday. This was a team that has lost only 3 games in the last 6 years. I now understand why. It was also cold and windy. Last year we went up way north to Ausable Valley to do a regional game and it wasn't as cold there as it was Saturday in Kingston. Dietz Stadium is one of those places carved out of a hill and when its windy, the wind swirls and it did. I've had the pleasure of seeing some really good football players in past 5 or 6 years that I've been calling games. I'm putting Joe McMurry among the top five. I was talking with Chip Corlew and Burgess Ovitt two weeks ago and they told me another high school has added football. Ichabod Crane will be playing a varsity schedule in 2009. That's 4 straight years a Section 2 school has added or brought back football.
As for the upset specials, I went 1 for 3. When I got home late Saturday night I tuned into the Texas Tech/Oklahoma game and did the Red Raiders even show up? What happened? My mind was such a blur. As for the pro upset special. The Jets knocked off Titans, so I was 1 for 2 heading into the CFL title game. The "Pete Tobey Grey Cup Lock" didn't work out. Calgary beat Montreal and I want to thank Versus for at least showing the game. I would tune it in during commercials in the Giants game. Pete, you owe me one for putting the Leccese curse on Montreal. It worked and the Stampeders are CFL champs.
Syracuse fans are still celebrating their win over Notre Dame. I don't think though that Greg Robinson's job would have been saved even if he hadn't already been fired. How painful was it for fans of the Golden Domers not only to loose the way they did, but that Cameron Dantley's dad Adrian is the second greatest basketball player in Fighting Irish history.
Over the weekend I was watching the NHL network and I want to know who designed those ugly third uniforms that some teams are wearing. The losers from "Project Runway?" They are that bad. Now a couple are actually better than the regular ones, namely the Sabres, Islanders, Oilers and Canucks. But the Lightning, Coyotes, and Senators are double bag ugly. The NHL screwed up big time when they contracted with Reebok to create this form fitting jersey thing.
Congratulations to Ashley Simpson on the birth of her son, but what was she thinking when she named him, "Bronx Mowgli." I guess dumb runs in the family. I thought only Jessica had the stupid genes. Naming your first child after a borough in New York and the boy from " The Jungle Book." There's a kid just waiting to get picked on when he goes to school. Plus you got four years of therapy minimum.
I'm still waiting to hear what the big deal about "Twilight" is. 70 million at the box office opening weekend and I'm not getting it.
Finally, I owe Rutgers QB Mike Teel an apology. Five straight wins will make you re-think the view that Coach Schiano should have benched you when your teams record was 1-5. Enjoy Thanksgiving...Leccese out.

No comments: