Friday, November 7, 2008

Ready for Some Football

Hi There. Well nothing highlights the weekend than a trip to Amsterdam. What I'm talking about is the game we'll be doing on WWSC and I'll get to that later. We always open with "Opie's Upset Specials," and today is no different. In the lead off spot is your college upset special and for once I'm heading out west to the Pac 10. I see the UCLA Bruins with a victory over the Oregon State Beavers. As for the pro, I'm putting the ranch on the Green Bay Packers to beat the Minnesota Vikings. Ever since the Vikings started playing indoors, they've sucked.
Now for the high school stuff. Got 3 locals vying for sectional championships this weekend. I think Schuylerville has the easiest test although Watervliet only gave up 3 points in their win over Chatham. Maybe I'm selling the Cannoneers short.
Fort Edward has a re-match with Rensselaer and I'm thinking the Rams have too many weapons offensively for the Forts to overcome. However if there is any one coach who could pull off the upset in that game its Kevin Stimpson and with the game being played at Putt LaMay Field in Glens Falls I think the Forts could do it. Now for the game on WWSC. Hudson Falls versus Ravena at Lynch Middle School in Amsterdam. The Indians love to run the ball like the Tigers, but use more than one back to do it. The Indians better not try to concentrate on stopping just Joe McMurry. Brett Melon has some solid receivers in Tom Hammond, Josh Canini and Isaiah Thomas. One note though. In its two losses Ravena's passing game struggled, and the secondary for Hudson Falls is pretty good. Just ask Albany Academy.
With the presidential election over, I can finally give an opinion on it. Just to let you know, I don't exercise my right to vote. It comes down to two reasons. I feel the candidates never discuss the issues that concern me. The other reason is a selfish one. I don't want to be called for jury duty. The one time I registered to vote, within 3 weeks I got the notice. I wish president-elect Obama all the best. Hopefully we'll have patience with him and the bi-partisan politics can finally end. Compromise can be a good thing. One more thing about him I like. He's a WhiteSox fan and you know how I feel about the other baseball team from Chicago.
I've gotten to know a lot of hockey moms over time, none of whom remind me of Sarah Palin. A couple have come close though.
There's something sad and pathetic at the same time watching a goalie trying to fight with a skater during a hockey game.
Big Bang Theory was better than How I Met Your Mother this week. The idea of Sheldon having a female admirer is almost as frightening as the idea of me with a female admirer. Enjoy the weekend..Leccese out.

No comments: