Friday, November 21, 2008

I am so not ready for HS Basketball and Ice Hockey Seasons

Hi There. You can feel it in the air. High School Basketball and Ice Hockey seasons are getting underway and I am so not ready. We will finalize the basketball schedule hopefully before Thanksgiving so you'll know what games we'll be airing on the Mighty 14 50. Before we get into a preview of tomorrow's Hudson Falls vs Rye game, it's time for "Opie's Upset Specials!" And cause I love youze guys, you get a bonus pick this week. Three for the price of two. Upset special Number One. Lots of good rivalry games in the college ranks this weekend, none of them worth the risk. Go with Texas Tech over Oklahoma. Upset special Number Two for the pro pick. Again there's some good match-ups but I'm playing a hunch and going with the J-E-T-S to finally give the Titans their first loss of the season. Now for your bonus pick. I'm calling this one the "Pete Tobey Grey Cup Lock" in honor of the Post Star's fine high school football columnist. I'm taking the Montreal Allouettes over Mr. Tobey's Calgary Stampeders in the CFL championship game. Now Pete, if you are aware of the Leccese curse, you'll be thanking me for picking Montreal.
As for the high school game. It's two bruising backs named Kyle Ramalho and Cole McCormick of Rye versus the big line and Joe McMurry of Hudson Falls. So expect a lot of ball control. This is looking like a field position, time of possession battle.
Donovan McNabb is taking a lot of heat for not knowing that regular season games can end in a tie. Remember this is coming from a league that has some ridiculous thing called, "The Tuck Rule."
Does anyone actually care that the New York Red Bulls and Columbus Crew are playing in the MLS championship game this weekend? I didn't think so.
Did I hear that LeBron James has Barry Manilow on his I-Pod? Come on, LeBron. It's O.K. for some loser like me who can't get a date to admit he likes Air Supply. At least they're not on my MP3 player. But Barry Manilow? I can see it now. Before a game he's got the headphones on and getting psyched up to Jay-Z along with "Copacabana" or "Weekend in New England."
Another sign of the apocalypse. I've seen the commercial for the video game Rock Band 2 with Kobe, A-Rod, Tony Hawke and some other dude playing "Old Time Rock N Roll."
Can someone please explain to me what the big deal is about the movie, "Twilight."
I want to wrap up by saying thank you to some of the over weight people who walk by the gym where I workout. Seeing you inspires me to do that extra 10 minutes on a treadmill or bike...Leccese out.




No comments: