Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ernie Harwell was a friend to everyone, even me

Hi there. Before I get to Ernie Harwell, I have to bring up the incident in Philadelphia Monday night where the junior mensa society member decided to take a stroll in the outfield during the Cards/Phils game. This kid could be one of the poster children for why parents should be allowed to kill their young. There's this statement printed on the back of your ticket telling you that entering the field of play is grounds for ejection and criminal prosecution. The P.A. announcer before and on occasion during the game will remind you about the policy. The kid asked his dad before hand if he should attempt the stunt and dad said he didn't think it would be a good idea. He still did it! I wonder if Penn State where this oustanding young person will be attending college is regretting that decision to admit him. Now if you think that the security used excessive force in using the Taser on him. I'll give you 2 names and maybe you'll change your minds: Monica Seles and Tom Gamboa. Nuff said.
Now on to Ernie Harwell who lost his life to cancer at the age of 92. This man was larger than life itself and if you didn't like Ernie Harwell, you need to seek therapy so the therapist can slap you and tell you to snap out of it. Six years ago, WWSC was invited to Cooperstown to broadcast the Hall of Fame game. It was our first time and the Tigers and RedSox were playing. Ernie was there. I asked the reps from the Hall if Ernie would be able to come down to our broadcast spot so we could say hello and shake his hand. Unfortunately it couldn't be arranged. Fast forward to 2 years later. Ernie was at Hall of Fame being interviewed for its "Voices of the Game" series. I managed to get one of the few tickets available for it. It was 90 incredible minutes. Afterward, I got to meet and speak with him. Told him my story and as I was leaving he said, "Ken, I'm sorry about the the Hall of Fame game, but I'm glad we finally met. Thanks for coming. Was it worth the wait?" I responded by using one his words. "Absolutely!" I was on cloud nine driving home that day...Leccese out.

No comments: