Sunday, May 16, 2010

Golf and the garden means my back might be just a little sore

Hi there. Another weekend has ended and I'm sitting here typing away on the laptop, noshing on a slice of pizza; homemade of course (more on that later). It was a weekend of golf and the garden. Took my annual trip up to 1000 Acres Ranch and played the nine hole course there. It's a beautiful little layout with 3 holes that play along the Hudson. It came out of the winter in good shape. Since it was my first time out, I went in with no expectations and I actually played decent. I was pleasantly surprised the way I drove the ball off the tee. The irons and putting game will come together soon enough.
The other thing I did was the final soil preparation for the vegetable garden. Nothing beats getting a little dirty adding the natural organic soil enricher (it was cow manure O.K.!) and the time release fertilizer mixing and raking it just right. The tomatoes are in the ground and maybe next weekend I'll get the peppers and eggplant in their containers, and put potatoes in. Every couple of years I grow potatoes. Believer it or not, there is nothing better than growing, digging up and then eating a home grown potato.
I don't know what I was more happy about: the Canadiens beating the Penguins and Sid the Kid; or the Celtics knocking off LeBron and the Cavs. I'll go with the Celtics. With the Pens losing, it means no more will be hockey played at the Igloo. I love that place, and have seen two games there. On my first trip to Pittsburgh they had the roof open. One of those times I wish my sister was still living there.
As for the Flyers comeback over the Bruins. Been there, seen that act once already. It was called '89 Adirondack Redwings when they beat the Hershey Bears after being down 3 to 0.
I personally think that LeBron will go play for the team that will enable him to sell the most sneakers and jerseys.
I found it interesting that the 16 year old woman who Lawrence Taylor engaged in sexual congress with said she didn't want to ruin his reputation. Sorry to break the news to you kid, but LT's reputation was ruined long before he paid for your services.
As much as I was disappointed that Super Saver didn't win the Preakness, a part of me was rooting for Yawanna Twist that horse that was foaled in Fort Edward.
Both Mike Lupica and Mitch Albom had humorous observations regarding the triple crown. Albom was wondering if NYRA and Belmont Park should ask the right hold the Belmont Stakes just once ahead of the other two triple crown races so it could mean something, and Lupica noted the next time we'll see a Triple Crown winner is when the movie, "Secretariat" hits theaters this summer.
VH1 just finished running a series called, "Undateable." It's in that, "I love the 80's" genre. I've been watching trying to figure out how many of the 100 things on the list I'm guilty of.
Still trying to figure out how and why singer Katy Perry is number 1 on Maxim's annual, "Hot 100" list.
On to the pizza. Yes I can make my own and do so every once in awhile. I wonder if that was on the "Undateable" list. Tried out a new pizza dough recipe and loved the results. When it comes to pizza, there is only one way to go and that's thin crust. The two things I hate the most about Chicago are the Cubs and deep dish pizza.
Dan told me that we've hired someone new to join our little on air radio family. I hope he warned her about us (especially Cloutier and Dubray) and the hazards working here on the island of misfit toys. Just kidding Mikey, I really didn't mean you...Leccese (the "undateable" list is right now at 20) out.

No comments: