Monday, May 10, 2010

Good thing I didn't put those plants out after all

Hi there. One of the things about late April and early May is that weather wise it teases you. It gives you about 2 weeks of above average temps and then, WHAM! Hits you with a dose of reality and sends the thermometer dropping back into the 40's and 50's. You're thinking maybe I can get some plants out early and enjoy a longer growing season, but no. My tomato plants are liking the fact that just when I thought it was safe to get them outside and in the ground, mother nature had other plans and they're back inside sunning on a window sill.
Where to begin this week? O.K. lets start with Lawrence Taylor and another major screw up. Paid $300.00 for an evening with a child. I love the fact that the media was calling the guy who set Taylor up a "bad pimp." Are their such people as "good pimps." Do good pimps set up their ladies with health insurance and a 401k plan? Taylors' attorney seems like a real winner too. I took one at his lawyer and the things that came to mind were either "ambulance chaser" or the movie "My cousin Vinnie." At what point do we give up on guys him? When do the multiple chances finally run out? When are we going to realize that Lawrence Taylor is a habitual offender. Look at Tim Welsh, the former Bristol Tech analyst who got a second to coach hoops at Hofstra. Got busted for DWI and was fired without the chance to coach one game. It was his first offense, but a good move by the Pride to say no way, we don't want that baggage attached to us.
I hope Bret Michaels is doing better after his recent health scare. Bret seems like a nice guy and I have to admit his "Rock of Love" series on VH1 was a sneak peak, guilty pleasure you hated to admit to anyone you liked watching. He's thinking that he should settle down and get married. I can see it now. "Rock of Love IV. Finally getting hitched!" The last episode ends at some wedding chapel in Vegas. Still hoping VH1 takes me up on my idea for "Garden of Love." Not gonna happen, O.K I can accept that.
Watched the HBO special on the Philadelphia Flyers and the only problem I had with it was too much Dave Schultz. Otherwise it was terrific.
Sunday morning I go get my paper and some total stranger left a present in my mailbox. An open container of beer. Look, I appreciate your generosity. However if you're going to share and leave a cold one, could you at least make it a Guiness instead of that crappy American pilsner.
With all the wind and crazy weather we had this weekend that included a power outage at my place, I managed to find a window of calm and hit a bucket of golf balls at the driving range. Golf is a crazy game and I wondered how could hit my driver fine at the range, but tee up on the first hole and I'm killing worms as the ball stops just past the ladies tee box.
Now for something hard. Saying goodbye to John "Max" McDonnell who left our radio family Friday for a new career challenge. Max, I'm sorry I drove you nuts sometimes. You're a good friend and we've had a lot of great times, especially on the golf course. He was the driving force behind getting a lot of sponsors for the games you hear on the WWSC. Now what am I gonna do when I want to play golf for free somewhere? You think Mr Ashworth could hook me up at the Country Club? That will never happen and besides I forgot my photo is up at the clubhouse on the board that reads, "Under no circumstances are you to let these hackers on the course."
Finally the other day I brought something out of my clothing archives and wore it to the office. My Adirondack Lumberjacks jersey. Hard to believe its been 10 years since I called games for them. Read an article that day on Heather LaVine, who I worked with when she was with the team. I purposely took a detour on the way home and drove passed East Field. So many memories. Most of the them good. A part of me thought about wanting to call Darren Williams owner of the Golden Eagles and ask him if I could call one game for them sometime this season. Then I realized that chapter in my life had already been written...Leccese out.

No comments: