Monday, May 19, 2008

Searching for Golf in the rural Adirondacks and other weekend observations

Hi There. Hope you dodged the raindrops and enjoyed the weekend. After filling in for Mikey Saturday it was off to indulge myself on the golf course. Headed over to Bay Meadows and played nine before the rain came. I was fine from tee to green, but the chipping and putting was my downfall. The rust hasn't come off yet. Then yesterday I headed North to Newcomb. I bet you're wondering why would I go to Newcomb, it was the lure of playing High Peaks Golf Course. It's a gem of a nine hole, par 33 off route 28N. It meanders its way around the mountains of the area with great views of the high peaks. Its 2 or 3 years old and a must play for those who want to try a new course. The sixth hole is a bear of a par 5. The white tees play 475 yards and its uphill. I'm making it a point to play more courses that I've never been to. On the list is Battenkill, Schroon Lake, Pole Valley, and Skene Valley. There are a group of about 8 courses I play every year. So Big Brown won the Preakness in convincing fashion. I would love to see him win the Belmont, but until it happens I'm not holding out hope. 11 other horses have tried, but failed. Remember the Belmont is a mile and a half. Is it just me or have your noticed Big Brown doesn't have the great story line behind him that FunnyCide or Smarty Jones did in their pursuit of the Triple Crown. Horse racing needs a feel good story after what happened to Eight Belles. Well the Pens knocked off the Flyers in 5, and tonight the Wings should finish off the Stars. I'm picking the Wings to win the Cup in 6. Next year should be the Pens year. I have enough of a hard time losing 50 bucks playing the slots, but how could Charles Barkley forget to pay back the 400g's he owes in Vegas? Its terrible, just terrible. Season finales of "Big Bang Theory" and "How I Met Your Mother" tonight..Leccese out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't miss the season finale of The Big Bang Theory today, May 19. I am
hearing there are going to be big things happening with the
Leonard/Penny storyline, and a surprise ending. It should be great.
You can see season finale promo pictures for The Big Bang Theory here :

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/showthread.php?t=225326

Rose Hill said...

Hi, Ken--I enjoy your blog very much! My comment is not related to
anything you've said, just a sports
observation that I need to "vent"
so as not to implode (or explode):
Was watching "ESPN Classic" this
past Saturday, a marathon of MLB
World Series games (condensed to 1
hour each) from the 1970's and was
reliving the Pirates in their glory
with Roberto Clemente, when I noted
once again how great the players of
that era looked in their uniforms--
compared to those stupid-looking long (to their ankles) pants that
all the MLB teams are wearing now: Gaah! Thank goodness for radio, so
I don't have to look at them. And I
feel the same repulsion toward the
basketball "fashion" of floppy, too
too big uniforms--who designed that
look, M. C. Hammer??
Thanks for the chance to speak up,
keep on blogging!