Monday, December 1, 2008

We Need more Myron Rolles in the world and other Weekend Observations

Hi There. Lets see there's still some turkey and stuffing leftover and Giants are 11-1, not a bad way to start December? O.K. onto the serious stuff. Well my high school won its annual Thanksgiving match-up and the Cowboys beat the Seahawks. I don't think Mike Holmgren ever imagined his farewell tour to be this bad. There was a lot of bad football on Thanksgiving Day. It started with the Lions and snowballed into an avalanche. Cowboys/Seahawks and Eagles/Cardinals were not worth the price of admission and then if you're a college fan, boy that Texas/Texas A@M game was another real stay awake type game.
Who is dumber, Plaxico Burress or LeBron James? It's a toss up. Obviously Plax missed that how not to emulate PacMan Jones film and lecture at training camp. If I were Jerry Reese, I would call Plax's bridge troll of an agent Drew Rosenhaus right now and get tell him to get his behind up here and make sure Drew is begging for mercy on his hands and knees. I hope Mr.Burress likes the color orange. He maybe starring in another remake of, "The Longest Yard."
Now for LeBron James. Look, we all know Charles Barkley is no candidate to be the president of the Mensa Society. However if I'm picking sides to play Trivial Pursuit, I'm taking Barkley on my team. This just shows how pathetic the NBA is. Teams are clearing cap space for 2 years away so they can be a player in the LeBron, Chris Bosh or Dwayne Wade sweepstakes. It is that sad. LeBron, please shut up, you're a cancer to the NBA anyhow.
The other day I was taking stuff to the landfill when I found and decided to sell some of my old hockey gear at one of those consignment shops. My shinguards, elbow pads, and chest protector hopefully will find a good home.
This past weekend was the first since the middle of August that didn't include high school football whether it was watching a practice, scrimmage or calling a game.
After hearing about the fights, stabbings and tramplings at stores throughout the country on Black Friday, there is no flat screen, high def TV, computer, or other home electronics item worth it no matter how much is being saved. I remember the riots 25 years ago over Cabbage Patch Kids. It was not a pretty sight.
Finally a good sports story to talk about. If you want to root for someone, may I suggest football player Myron Rolle from Florida State. You see he wants to be neurosurgeon. His goal is to help with vaccinations in third world countries. He finished his undergraduate degree in 2 1/2 years. He's a Rhodes Scholar. He was willing to miss an important game so he could be there for his final interview and the announcement of the scholarship recipients. He could also play in the NFL if he wanted to. My advice to Myron is to meet and talk with Bill Bradley, the former senator from New Jersey and New York Knick. He did both, and so can you. We need the ESPN's, the Fox Sports or any of these networks to do more stories about the Myron Rolle's. I know there are more like him out there...Leccese out.

No comments: