Monday, January 26, 2009

Dad's Outback is no fool and other meaningless thoughts

Hi There. With no football or hockey I thought it might be a quiet weekend of meditation and intellectual stimulation. Boy was I wrong! Had to run two easy errands and with my folks down south for the winter, my Dad said to drive his Subaru once a week. So I chose yesterday. I go to warm it up at 7am and move it so I could load recyclables and other assorted things for disposal at the transfer station and then go to workout. It started fine. I thought I was good to go. Move ahead 8:30. I'm ready to leave and what happens? If you guessed it wouldn't start you're right and you get to play the bonus round. So I unload everything and put it in my SUV. I get back home after my workout thinking I might have to jump the thing and it started up no problem. That car is no fool.
The other thing that happened yesterday revolved around barbecue sauce. You read right, barbecue sauce. Not just any sauce though. I've discovered this stuff in North Carolina called "Bone Suckin' Sauce." If you love really good barbecue sauce, I highly recommend it. Thinking I couldn't get it locally, I ordered it online. After my workout, I go to The Silo to pick up a couple of things and what do I see sitting on a shelf? If you guessed Bone Suckin' Sauce, you're right and now have a spot in the Tournament of Champions.
In between being outsmarted by an Outback and finding barbecue sauce, there was a hilight to my day. It happened at the place I work out. I got to take the group fitness class that I love. Nothing beats an hour of Body Combat to make you sweat, feel better, and bring out the warrior in a person. Part of the fun of taking that class are the people who take it with you. To my right was a friend who is an instructor. I hadn't seen her in a long time. We just smiled and over on the other side of the room were two other friends and we just waved. That was a bonus. Thanks Sonja.
The Leccese Curse reared its ugly head over the weekend. 3 of the 4 high school basketball teams I mentioned in Friday's entry lost. Granville was spared.
If the Professional Bowlers Tour is on television, I watch. Growing up I'd watch it on ABC Saturday afternoons and now I watch it on Bristol Tech instead of college hoops. Somewhere in heaven Chris Schenkel is smiling down on me.
Speaking of Bristol Tech. I wouldn't mind meeting someone like Linda Cohn. She know sports, likes the same teams (Rangers, Giants, and Mets) I do, and as a bonus played goalie on the ice hockey team in college. Now there's a female I wouldn't mind bringing home to meet the folks.
Did you hear about the girls high school basketball game in Texas where the final score ended up being 100 to 0. The coach has been fired and all h-e-double hockey sticks has broken loose. Since it was a Christian school that won the game, maybe the coach should explain that god told him to run up the score. That might put everyone at ease. It works for the evangelists.
I'll figure out how to get even with Dad's car while watching the CBS comedies and Bourdain tonight...Leccese out.

No comments: