Friday, January 23, 2009

There's no football or hockey this weekend and some other random thoughts

Hi There. Yes Virginia, there is no football this weekend. No picks, no upset specials. No football. The NHL is in its All-Star break, so there is also no hockey. Never fear loyal readers, there is still plenty to talk about.
The Academy Awards nominations were announced and as always movies most people would never pay to see or have vaguely even heard of were nominated. This year I've heard of 3 of the "Best Picture" nominees. That maybe a record for me. When looking at the other categories, I have to wonder what the people who vote are thinking. They have this stalker like obsession with Meryl Streep and Sean Penn. O.K. I know he was Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High." I'm sorry, but I don't get Sean Penn. I should do a future entry on things I don't get. The list must be a mile long by now. Also Mickey Rourke has come back from the dead with his performance in the "The Wrestler."
I wish Governor Patterson would just make up his mind and announce his senate replacement for you know who. Now the rumor is our representative in congress is one of the front runners. I'm starting to believe that the list of qualified candidates is as long as the list of quality starting pitchers in Major League Baseball. Not very long.
Speaking of MLB, am I the only one who thinks Scott Boras doesn't realize that the economy is in a recession. What does this greedy, intellectually challenged person not understand? Manny Ramirez is not worth or going to get 25 million dollars a year for at least 3 years. Oliver Perez is not worth 15 million per year.
Note to Jeff Kent. Leave your key at the desk and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Trust me, you're not hall of fame worthy and no one is going to miss you.
Since we're into the boys high school basketball season, 4 teams have caught my attention this year so far: Ft.Ann, Granville, Hudson Falls, and Ft Edward. Honorable mentions go to Corinth and Lake George.
I got on the scale and was pleased. I'm just shy of 230 pounds. Another 30 pounds to go. Remember weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Most doctors will tell you that you shouldn't lose more than 2 pounds per week. I work out between 9:30 and 11am and I have to admit I miss seeing the attractive working moms and single women who take the group fitness classes or are in the cardio room on the equipment that I use most of the time.
If you don't understand the power of the Morning Club or why Dan Miner is the man, go to CBS dot com and watch this past weeks episode of "How I Met Your Mother." Barney Stinson quotes Dan Miner. It explains a lot.
My birthday is in 2 weeks. I'm still lonely and getting even older.
Finally, a study by the Medical University of Vienna in Austria has found out that gardening just 30 minutes a day at least 5 days a week can boost a man's sex drive. There's a method to my madness and the seed catalogs have arrived. Got some reading to do...Leccese out.

No comments: