Monday, January 19, 2009

Super Bowl XLIII Arizona vs Pittsburgh and other thoughts of the weekend

It was either a stroke of genius or dumb luck on my part. I gave you Arizona versus Pittsburgh and I delivered. I'm leaning towards dumb luck. I thought the Eagles/Cardinals game was the better of the two championship games. Kurt Warner is only as good a QB as the receivers he has throwing the ball to. He had Holt, Bruce, Proehl and Conwell with the Rams and now Fitzgerald, Breaston, and Boldin with the Cardinals. The Steelers/Ravens was the war I thought it would be. Hard hitting, smash mouth football. Troy Polamalu is the real deal. I love doing my Mel Kiper, Draft Expert imitation to my brother-in-law Mike when I look at the Steelers draft every year and comment about certain picks. Two stick out. Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu.
In NFL coaching news, the Bucs gave the axe to "Chucky" Gruden and the J-E-T-S hired Buddy Ryan's son Rex as their new head coach. The bad news for Jets fans is they're leaning on keeping another former coach's son Brian Shottenheimer as the O-Coordinator. Message to Mike Tannenbaum. Give Junior Shottenheimer the axe so he can go to Cleveland and hang with his pal Mangini.
The first official signs of the apocalypse for 2009 occurred when "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" made 33.8 million dollars at the box office and "Hotel for Dogs" made 17.7 million.
I've got to give credit to Gonzo Gates over on the sister station for this one. I agree with him that inauguration day for President Obama can't come soon enough. Enough with the hype and the historic significance already. Just take the oath of office and get to work, President Barack. One more thing. Is this the swearing in of a new president or live from the red carpet? Every network morning show is doing features on what the new First Lady maybe wearing to the festivities. If that hasn't driven me nuts, the anticipated Super Bowl hype will officially put me over the edge.
Monday night means the CBS comedies and "No Reservations." I'll watch while trying to figure out quarterback ratings. The formula must come from the same dude who came up with the BCS rankings...Leccese out

No comments: