Monday, April 21, 2008

Mark Twain may be right after all and weekend observations

Hi There. Hold on, I've got to put some more aloe on the back of my sunburned neck. Okay, with the weather in 70's and 80's, I hit the golf course for the first time. Mark Twain once said, "Golf is a good walk spoiled." For the first time in the 30 years I've been playing the game; he may just be right. I admit I will never be Tiger Woods or any other PGA pro, but there are days when you want chuck your clubs into the metal recycler at the local transfer station. The other thing I've discovered that my game is definitely old school. I don't carry a driver with the club head the size of a small watermelon. My putter doesn't look like a star ship from Star Trek. My putter cost a whopping $7.50. I still hit irons from the fairway and rough and I don't own hybrids or a 7 and 9 wood. On to more pressing stuff. I'm sorry but I don't care about the NBA playoffs or basketball in general. David Stern has worn out his welcome as the Commish. Between the Super Sonics being allowed to leave one of the best sports towns in America for OKC and his refusal to implement stricter rules for college underclassmen to leave school to join the Association. I'm fed up with him. If I was in charge, you would not be allowed to leave school until at least after your junior year. A lot of parents take out loans, second mortgages, work additional jobs and dip into retirement funds to send their children to college. The college experience is worth it. I remember my college coach Bruce Kirsh telling us to treasure those four years. If you're given a free education and you get to play sports. Take advantage of it. You get the best of both worlds. Friday night was a great night for me. Great take out food for dinner and the Rangers put away the Devils in five. Take that Kevin Smith of "Jay and Silent Bob" fame. Hard to believe we grew up in the same hometown. So what if Marty Brodeur didn't shake Sean Avery's hand. Islander great Billy Smith never did it either. You gotta love the sports fans in the city of Brotherly Love. Only they would boo Santa and cheer a player getting a possible concussion like Jose Reyes almost did against the Phils. "How I Met your Mother" and "No Reservations" are on the tube tonight...Leccese out.

No comments: