Saturday, April 19, 2008

Its Your Fault Steve Carroll

Hi There. I'm writing this today because someone I know is moving and I wanted to wish him well. My friend Steve Carroll. Steve was the owner of the health club that I've been a member of the past 7 years. It started out next to Cumberland Farms in Warrensburg and eventually made its made its way to the Mt Royal Plaza in Queensbury. I wanted to get in better shape, and it was on the way home, so it was convenient. You would go in, not have to show some membership tag or have to sign up to use the equipment. I would go workout after a long day and the familiar faces would be there. Cathy, Trish, Cappy and his wife, Dan, Wendy, Nick, Will, the list goes on. The evening crew. It was Cheers only with Precor exercise equipment, protein bars and water instead of bar stools and beer. You'd watch people stare at you through the window as you worked out and you'd stare back. They'd be thinking, "they're crazy." We'd be thinking, "You need to be in here more than I do fatty." That little place could get crazy at times. Thursday evenings were "Survivor" night. You didn't dare talk while the show was on and if you did. Never mind. I would try to finish working out before the show started or just avoid the place completely that day. If you want to why I can't stand Warren Zevon's song "Werewolves of London," it's because of that place. It's also Steve Carroll's fault that I'm addicted to Glaceau Vitaminwater. He got me hooked on the stuff. I drink on the average a bottle a day. Sometimes more. It goes where I go. Its in the radio station with me. I bring it into the places wherever and whenever we do high school sports broadcasts. I've put bottles in my luggage on airplanes. On the golf course, its my beverage of choice. When I would do stand-up, I'd take a bottle of the Energy flavor up with me. Ron White brings scotch and a cigarette on stage and I bring Vitaminwater. It gets a good laugh. Back to Steve, over the years he's become more than the health club owner. He's a trusted friend I could talk to that's not in radio. We would go out socially with some of the other people from the gym and just be ourselves. I didn't have to be the radio guy. That's part of the reason I've stayed there for so long. I'm big on the loyalty thing. Now Steve is off to the big city to be with his wife and start a new job at some health club. I just hope he doesn't forget us. Another one of my close friends who used to be an instructor left about a year ago and I haven't heard from him since. Take care Steve, keep in touch...Leccese out.

No comments: